Patent mechanisms in Europe are quite complex and need to be explained in order to be properly apprehended.
This is my (humble) goal!
I wish you an excellent reading of the file " Patents in Europe ».
I immediately point out some resources that will be of great help to you as you read:
- the European Patent Convention (or EPC).
- This convention was strongly updated in 2007 to comply, particularly with another treaty, the PLT (and an important renumbering of the articles was carried out);
- In addition, small updates are regularly made: the last date of 2013;
- the Regulations of the EPC.
- This document is a sort of implementing decree (if we were to draw a parallel with French law);
- the Regulations relating to taxes (or RRT) (OJ 3/2012, RRT supplement);
- the " EPO Schedule of Fees and Charges (applicable from 1 April 2012) », (OJ 3/2012, supplement BTR);
- the Transitional Provisions related to the introduction of the EPC 2000;
- the Guidelines for the Examination practiced at the European Patent Office;
- the Rules of Procedure of the Boards of Appeal (OJ 1/2013, RPCR supplement);
- the Rules of Procedure of the Enlarged Board of Appeal (OG 1/2013, RPGCR supplement);
- the "Current Account Regulations "(Or RCC) and" Regulations on the automatic debiting procedure "(Or RPA) (OJ 3/2015, additional publication);
- the latest WIPO-EPO Agreement concerning the EPO as ISA, SISA, IPEA (OG 2010, 304);
- the national laws relating to the EPC.
Good reading !